Saturday, June 27, 2009

Night Adventures

It is Saturday and I am so sad. Our flight leaves on Tuesday morning. The first week we were here it felt like two, but this last week flew by. I feel like there is still so much to do. it's probably a good thing we're coming home though, since I'm just about out of money.
Yesterday I went to the catacombs and touched dead people. (hehehe) then later that night a few of us went up the Eiffel Tower. The city looks really beautiful at night. We were on it when it started twinkling at 11pm.
But the best thing EVER was on thursday night there was a lightning storm. It was around 2am and everyone was going to bed when I saw the sky light up outside my window. It had been raining earlier with a bit of lightning, but not too much. So I grabbed a jacket and went outside to watch. It wasn't raining so I just layed in this big empty field behind the main building. The sky was purply-black and the clouds were orange from the light polution. I layed out there for 45 minutes to an hour and just watched it. I've never seen so much lightning in my life. A bit of the sky lit up every few seconds and I never had to wait longer then a minute for the next lightning bolt. After every lightning flash there would be a few seconds of silence, then the thunder!- The thunder was so loud it sounded like someone was dropping boulders down the stairs to heaven, or huge waves crushing ships against clifs in the sky. Some of the lightning happened above the clouds so that they lit up white for a second, but others happened right before my eyes so I could still see them when I blinked. Some were quick little flashes and others were frighteningly monsterous. It was so great! I kept telling myself, "ok, just one more then I'll go in and go to bed." But then I'd see one and want to stay more. When I finally went inside I was walking up the stairs to my room when a big one lit up the sky right outside the window; followed imediatly by thunder. Then I heard people on the street screech and saw them start to run from the fat rain drops. I left the window in my room open so I could listen to it as i fell asleep. I didnt know it could storm like that. I wish we had stoms like that in California. (i mean if it weren't for the brush fires)
sad to be leaving
sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment